Closed Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NVA 'TFS': 'The Future Statement' lands at Marco Towers...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'm sorry Marco but it really isn't my cup of tea at all, I think it looks rather tacky and the rear panel is a real let down. If one is going to produce a dedicated music PC for megabucks then at least make the bloody effort to not to use a standard, cheap backplane on the rear of it. Incidentallly, the PS used in my PC was anything but cheap, it's a BeQuiet 650 watt'er and injects no noise into the system...
    ALL digital kit injects noise into systems, especially ones using switch-mode PSUs.

It is the nature of the beast, primarily due to the switching noise they generate when digital to analogue signal conversion takes place - and there are no exceptions. As such, the TFS, just like my Sony CDP before it, benefited greatly from being plugged into my Tube Distinctions digital noise filter.

What you say is fine, but I couldn't really give a flying shite what the "backplane" is like (which you can't see from the front, anyway!) I'm judging the TFS purely on its sonic qualities and user friendliness, both of which are in the highest rank. Remember that this is the first time a computer audio set-up has remotely earned my respect for its sonic ability.

Why don't you bring your 'thingy' round for a listen sometime and we'll do a comparison? I'm always up for learning something new

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Nice one Marco - I keep meaning to pop round Theo's to have an ecoutez to his TFS.

Oh...and congrats on the new toy.
    Cheers, Richard. At last some positivity!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

synsei Guest

Marco, I don't doubt it sounds good, I just know I could build something better for myself for that kind of money...

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Glad you are enjoying it Marco. What's the max resolution it puts out?

I just know I could build something better for myself for that kind of money...
    Jeezuz, you're like a bloody broken record, mate!

How on earth can you say that when you haven't even heard the TFS?? And remember, you're not making a commercial product, with all the costs which that entails. If you want to let me hear what you've built in comparison, I'll soon let you know what I think is better!

I'm afraid that people who make unqualified judgements on the sonic abilty of audio equipment really do my tits in (and the fact is, if you haven't heard the equipment in question, then you're unqualified to judge it, sonically). Such opinions, I'm afraid, are worthless. People who know me will know that I wouldn't be raving about this piece of kit, if it wasn't worth raving about.

I suggest now you've said your piece, Dave, that you keep quiet, unless you have something constructive to add, as you're now in danger of thread crapping and seriously pissing me off!! So if that's what you've set out to do, you've done a bloody good job!!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Glad you are enjoying it Marco. What's the max resolution it puts out?
    Not sure, Ali. That's one for Jason to answer. I'm sure he'll contribute to the thread in due course

Marco.
    Main System

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    How on earth can you say that, Dave, when you haven't heard it?? And remember, you're not making a commercial product, with all the costs which that entails!

I'm afraid that people who make unqualified judgements on the sonic abilty of audio equipment really do my tits in, and indeed such opinions are worthless.

I suggest now you've said your piece, Dave, you keep quiet, as you're now in danger of thread crapping and seriously pissing me off!! So if that's what you've set out to do, you've done a bloody good job!!

Marco.
    I think if someone makes such a statement then they should prove it !

looks interesting
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Congrats marco,welcome to the computer audio age.I think it looks ok,not sure about the clear tubiing though,having said that as long as it sounds good,who cares.My last pair of monitors being an example,looked ugly as fook,but did i care? not one jot.

There is definitely a market for something like this,for those who wouldn't want to take on such a project.

Is it worth the cost? i don't know,but i'm sure if you say it beats your sony transport,which you rate highly,then it must be doing something right.

A quick question,to any that can answer,is it possible to use a linear psu in a 'normal' pc?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Duncan.

it handles 24bit 192khz files but if you are using your sony dac you will be limiting it to just 16bit 44.1/48khz.

have you tried it direct ino your pre with some hi rez stuff?

should sound really good

I'm inthescottishmafia.

BTW I agree with you mate, once you factor in the cost of manufacturing the acrylic case, (acrylic is not cheap) assembling the thing, setting it up and then allowing a profit margin for Richard and Jason, it's not that rediculous. They both have to make a living, and it's not as if they can benefit from the economy of scale by selling thousands coz they won't, it's a cottage industry like Croft or Stan's dacs. Consider the cost of Richard's other Statement products also, it's certainly in line with those.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast