The Garrard 301 Restoration Project PT XXXXIV - More Tom Tweakery!

It's been a little while since I posted anything about the 301. I'm actually listening to some Monk on my 401/SME V-12/Shure M55E/EAR 834 clone setup for a change. The 301 is having some more work done on it so may as well give the 401 a spin. The latest mods have been based around trying to reduce vibration further into the 301 by using some feet I purchased from ebay years ago. These feet are nicely milled aluminium adjustable jobbies which sit on some ball bearings. Here's a quick pickie of the 301 having cleaning and fettling, this is a ritual that I always perform if I'm modding the 301, it keeps all the intrinsic clean.

It's not a thing of beauty but it gets the job done. And now just a quick picture of how the new feet look after installation, I've still not properly levelled everything at this stage so the feet may look a little wonky. .

The jury is still out. Sometimes I think they are beneficial and other times I'm not so sure. I still have the bamboo feet I made kicking around so nothing lost and nothing gained if they don't work out. I must admit to being very pleasently surprised by the performance of the 401. It makes a nice change to sometimes listen to different decks and carts.

As always stay tuned.