+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Beresford Bushmaster DAC

I'm David.

Looking good Stan!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    Personally I think this looks rather good, a clear improvement on the two tone version posted earlier. I quite like the gold too.
    That looks fantastic Stan
    Regards Neil

Thanks for the heads up guys . But looking at some of the comments, it seems that the first DIY topic on the Busmaster will be titled "How to mod your Bushmaster's front panel" .

MartinT Guest

Stan, what voltage will the Bushmaster run from? Will I be able to use my 16V Paul Hynes PSU?

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Thanks for the heads up guys . But looking at some of the comments, it seems that the first DIY topic on the Busmaster will be titled "How to mod your Bushmaster's front panel" .
    Yep - a bit more blingy gold for me, Stan!

It will be 12V. I have been using mine with a couple of 15V power supplies such as the ones from Lurcher (Nick) as sold by Mains Cable R US, and also the 12V and 15V ones from Mark Grant. So the 16V one from Paul should be fine. But note that the Bushmaster uses the external power supply as a charger. There are high and low frequency power supply filter networks in the power supply section inside the DAC. The incoming supply is stored by a large cap, which has been wired up to simulate a quick acting rechargeable battery. I couldn't hear or measure any noise drop with any alternative external mains connected power supply. But the power supply filter from Mark Grant, or the 12V Li-ion battery pack that I mentioned some months ago, were the only two items I could find that made a noticeable improvement on my systems.

MartinT Guest

Thanks, Stan.

I'm David.

Why not offer a "stealth" front pannel
    No text, plain black knob, black select button

that way no one can moan...

I had guessed that your analog issue might have been to do with the size of the text ... that would also be "solved" ...

Its funny actually ... id never noticed before, but the caiman all of a sudden seems too wide for the desk, you see how the headphones are being pushed off the side and there is a lot of dead space in front of it ... I just dont think it is right for me any more ... i need something that is less wide but maybe a bit deeper

CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    i need something that is less wide but maybe a bit deeper
    LOL - give all the justification you need, Hamish. I don't think any of us *need* one, it's a case of *want*

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post

Unlike the cheap and cheerful two piece case from my previous DACs, the Bushmaster is made out of precision laser cut panels. The holes are then individually burred out into a cup shape. This process is a lot more expensive and really reserved for one off proto types or expensive high-end stuff. But as promised last year, I intended to launch a statement DAC. It is a minor statement, but hopefully it is good enough to demonstrate that Bushmaster owners are not buying a budget DAC. It will take a lot more than what I charge for anyone else to produce something of a similar quality and finish.
    Personally, I would do something with the lettering on the fascia. The emblems on the inputs are a little busy. Perhaps T1 T2 C1 and C2 would suffice?

Also, the headphone socket may be better labeled with a headphone icon.

I see no need for it to say Digital to Analog Converter. Why not just DAC? Perhaps then you could fit Bushmaster DAC on one line?

Also, everything seems to be in line on a horizontal plane except the select switch. I assume there is physical reason for this.
    Last edited by webby; 29-05-2012 at 12:00.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast