+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: JPLAY - Hi-end audio player for Windows

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I'm now using jriver Media Jukebox (free, very impressed) - that has an option to play direct from memory. Haven't decided if it makes much difference yet.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Tried to download the trial version but no luck The site pretty poor around resolving such issues
    I've not had any problems downloading the software, John! It's so small it's an instant download.

What problems are you having?
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I'm now using jriver Media Jukebox (free, very impressed) - that has an option to play direct from memory. Haven't decided if it makes much difference yet.
    Hi Alex,

Try Jplay!, if you like it you can set up an autohotkey (yet to try this) & it will load your selections from J.River into Jplay's playback engine. Could well be the best of both worlds!
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Tried to download the trial version but no luck The site pretty poor around resolving such issues
    Have you tried downloading the zip file John as it may be your anti-virus? The program is tiny, takes around a second or two to download. Try the links below?

32bit zip file

64bit zip file

I have included both links, depending on your O/S
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Been playing around with this tonight and I have to be honest, I cannot hear a difference between my music server using Foobar/WASAPI and the JPlay player. Having said that, my music server is not a normal Windows PC, as it's trimmed down with as many services as possible switched off and it doesn't have a mouse, keyboard or screen or anything else running, like A/V or other software - no fans either and a hard drive which is as good as silent. I would have bought JPlay if there had been an improvement, but for me it didn't change a thing SQ wise and with it's clunky interface it's not a winner compared to what I have already.

I expect other peoples results will differ, especially if they have a standard PC with all the usual bell's and whistles running, which definitely can impact SQ, as I have experienced this myself especially on laptops. However, I reckon for a dedicated music server built and configured for nothing else, it could be redundant. To be honest if you have enough RAM available, all you have to do is run the portable version of Foobar from a RAM drive and you should have the same thing? With Foobar being free, it would be hard for me to justify it's cost under those circumstances. I will play around some more though with hibernation mode and such like, as it would be more power efficient to use JPlay with the PC virtually shutdown, but then you lose the convenience of something like Foobar and playing music for me would become a faff again.

Having said all that, I didn't notice a difference between having an SSD in my server against a mechanical hard drive, so maybe I just have cloth ears

What is encouraging though is that software like this is being developed, which can only be a good thing for file based audio. What we need is a free or low cost bare bones Linux distro, which boots a PC and does nothing but play music from RAM with a user friendly interface - only a matter of time and no doubt out there in some form already, waiting to be discovered by the masses? Maybe some on this forum have something similar already

Last edited by Tim; 13-08-2011 at 08:48.

I'm ILOB.

I just get unable to excute lock memory try right clicking on jplay exe and select run as adminstrator
    I cammot see how to do this when i do right click I do not see that as a option
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I just get unable to excute lock memory try right clicking on jplay exe and select run as adminstrator
    I cammot see how to do this when i do right click I do not see that as a option
    John, after you got these errors did you try rebooting your PC - also what operating system are you using?

I'm jonny.

a free memory player is cplay but you need to do a bit of 'stripping out' of windows

I'm colin.

Tried running this but was told i dont have windows privilege. Maybe i need windows 7 premium.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

I'm NoLongerActive.

Right click on the .EXE and choose Run as Administrator

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast