+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What HIFI 5 STAR for my DAC

The latest version is the MK6/3, which was released in October 2007.

The price is £120.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    There seem to be so many versions of this DAC available, which is the latest? and how much does it cost??

Many thanks!
    There have not been that many versions to my knowledge, for me it was a Mk3 first, then 6, the 6.3 arrived soon after with the "virtual DC" after power supply trials with bigger PSU`s / battery etc.

These changes came about after Stan sought the opinions of forum members here and there, its just been "fine tuned" from the Mk3 onwards as far as i know.

It really does make big improvements when used with PC`c, Sky boxes etc, and my pioneer stable platter is more or less redundant, i have gone over to H/D, something i once thought i would never do.

I dont think there is much difference between my vinyl and digital sources at last, i`m happy with both now.
    Regards, John.

I'm Neil.

Just picked up The Eagles - 1971 to 1975 on vinyl from a charity shop. Technics back up to scratch. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Just picked up The Eagles - 1971 to 1975 on vinyl from a charity shop. Technics back up to scratch. :P
    One of my A-B sound tests involves comparing the Eagles-Hotel California between vinyl and CD through TT and my DAC.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by thrunobulaxx View Post
    There have not been that many versions to my knowledge, for me it was a Mk3 first, then 6, the 6.3 arrived soon after with the "virtual DC" after power supply trials with bigger PSU`s / battery etc.

These changes came about after Stan sought the opinions of forum members here and there, its just been "fine tuned" from the Mk3 onwards as far as i know.

It really does make big improvements when used with PC`c, Sky boxes etc, and my pioneer stable platter is more or less redundant, i have gone over to H/D, something i once thought i would never do.

I dont think there is much difference between my vinyl and digital sources at last, i`m happy with both now.
    Thanks John (and others!) I may want to try one at some point, though I am eager to get the soldering iron out and threaten the amp with it too...
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

Stan told me a while back MF wanted one of his DAC`s, i guess this is why.

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/produ...ries/vdac.html
    A whole new series, i guess they wanted to compare it to the Beresford, but i heard a review of it, stans and the new dacmagic put the MF last of the 3 in performance.
    Regards, John.

Quote Originally Posted by thrunobulaxx View Post
    A whole new series, i guess they wanted to compare it to the Beresford, but i heard a review of it, stans and the new dacmagic put the MF last of the 3 in performance.
    The DacMagic was rated higher than my TC-7510. But I sent What HIFI a brand new DAC that would have required burn in first before it would have performed as well as it can. Maybe I should have sent them one of my test units that already had a burn in. I wonder how well the DacMagic would have faired against mine then.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    The DacMagic was rated higher than my TC-7510. But I sent What HIFI a brand new DAC that would have required burn in first before it would have performed as well as it can. Maybe I should have sent them one of my test units that already had a burn in. I wonder how well the DacMagic would have faired against mine then.
    You should always send out ready burned-in units Stan, you know that. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    You should always send out ready burned-in units Stan, you know that. :P
    Yeah...

I'm Neil.

I'll likely get a DACMagic in for a listen next month Stan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast