+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What HIFI 5 STAR for my DAC

I'm Keith.

Yes no malice intended, Stan doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to crow about somebody else's design, there are however an increasing number of products that are simply re-badged look at the Levinson/ Red Rose products, Goldmund /Pioneer etc.
    Stan's dac does the job, and diminishing returns kicks in pretty hard, as demonstrated when we compared a £600 ACK with a £33k DCS Scarlatti.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

John,

Yep mate - no worries. I totally understand. Old wounds take a while to heal.

But like I said once before elsewhere: this isn't "other places". This is The Art of Sound. I would not allow Stan, or anyone else for that matter, to take un-called for abuse on any subject so it's time for people to lower their defence shields.

Eliminating 'bun fights' and providing a friendly and constructive atmosphere in which to discuss hi-fi and music is a core part of our ethos, and it always will be

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    John,

Yep mate - no worries. I totally understand. Old wounds take a while to heal.

But like I said once before elsewhere: this isn't "other places". This is The Art of Sound. I would not allow Stan, or anyone else for that matter, to take un-called for abuse on any subject so it's time for people to lower their defence shields.

Eliminating 'bun fights' and providing a friendly and constructive atmosphere in which to discuss hi-fi and music is a core part of our ethos, and it always will be

Marco.
    Post deleted Marco, sorry.
    Regards, John.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ees cool, amigo

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by purite audio View Post
    ...there are however an increasing number of products that are simply re-badged look at the Levinson/ Red Rose products, Goldmund /Pioneer etc...
    That's true, but it's been the case for a long time, and many manufacturers have to have a starting point. For example; Russ Andrews, Townshend and Esoteric - these manufacturers whole basis is re-engineering other manufacturers' equipment (ok, so TEAC and Esoteric are the same company, but you know what I mean). Not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion, and does justice to the 'lower' echelons of hi-fi as quality products worthy of the basis of high end products.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Anyone knows where the Cambridge Audio factory is?

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    Anyone knows where the Cambridge Audio factory is?
    Beijing.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Neil.

The Beresford is outperforming my Technics SL1210 / Denon DL103 in my system. I'm pretty shocked to say the least. Using a Marantz CD65DX (CDM 4/11 transport) and Stan's coax cable.

Incredible liquid, analogue sound without any digital haze or artefacts. I can listen through entire days, and not get fatigued. This was not easy with my previous experiences of CD (have owned modded Rotel 965BX & few other players). What surprises me how well-defined individual musicians and instruments are in the stereo image. My speakers have completely disappeared!

I don't really like to write reviews these days, but just wanted to give a big thumbs up.

I'm Neil.

There was a noticable burn-in period with the Beresford, and the changes after a couple of weeks are audible. Things open up and get smoother. Someone on another forum had the chance to compare out of the box and run-in DACs & noticed the same.

It isn't going to stop me playing my John Martyn vinyls, but it has given me a lot more faith in the CD format & now my phono stage needs to be upgraded! I do think that CD is a better format for Stax 'phones though. You can really hear the stylus in the groove with their gear if you know what I mean!
    Last edited by Yomanze; 27-09-2008 at 17:59.

I'm Steve.

Default Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    There was a noticable burn-in period with the Beresford, and the changes after a couple of weeks are audible. Things open up and get smoother. Someone on another forum had the chance to compare out of the box and run-in DACs & noticed the same.

It isn't going to stop me playing my John Martyn vinyls, but it has given me a lot more faith in the CD format & now my phono stage needs to be upgraded! I do think that CD is a better format for Stax 'phones though. You can really hear the stylus in the groove with their gear if you know what I mean!
    There seem to be so many versions of this DAC available, which is the latest? and how much does it cost??

Many thanks!
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast